Friday, October 12, 2007

Carpooling FAQ

Long Island Traffic Management organization has a q-and-a on carpooling:

Carpooling FAQs
Q: How much time will I save if I drive in the HOV Lanes?

A: You can save up to 20 minutes off of your commute – each way – if you drive in the HOV Lanes.

Q: If I were to join a carpool, am I committed to the carpool 5 days a week?

A: Absolutely not. You decide how many days during the week you want to drive with your carpool partner(s). As long as it works for you and your carpool partner(s), that’s all that matters. One day a week is better than none at all!


Q: What happens if the driver of my carpool has to work over time and can not drive me home or my child gets sick at school and I have to leave work unexpectedly? How will I get to her/him?

A: There is a solution – Guaranteed Ride. LITM will pay for your ride if your carpool driver is unable to fulfill his or her responsibility of the carpool. LITM will also pay for your ride to your child in the case of an emergency. Guaranteed Ride is your “insurance” to getting where you have to be when your carpool partner(s) can’t.


Q: Is a child considered a passenger in the HOV Lanes?

A: Yes, a child is considered a passenger in the HOV Lanes.

Q: How much does it cost to be part of a carpool?

A: The participants in the carpool determine the costs and details of the carpool. You are the people who are involved and you should be the people who make the decisions as a group. Usually the carpool participants split the costs while others rotate the driver so that if each person in the carpool drives equally, the costs work out evenly as well.

No comments: